They say it takes a thief to catch a thief, so why not a hacker to catch a hacker?
That was the premise behind Ted Harrington’s Independent Security Evaluators, a company dedicated to poking holes into other companies’ cyber defenses — for the right reasons, of course. On this episode of GRC & Me, Ted takes LogicGate’s Chris Clarke on a journey down the benevolent hacker’s rabbit hole, where they discuss:
- The difference between white box and black box testing (and which is better.)
- Why carrying these exercises out can build trust and become a competitive advantage in third-party risk assessment.
- Why it’s important to shift your mindset from one that views security as an obstacle to one that views it as an opportunity.
- Uncovering the unknown unknowns in cybersecurity.
- How “defense in depth” strategies can put security teams a step ahead of threat actors.
- The four traits that lead hackers to be successful, and why thinking like one can be an effective way to bolster your cyber defenses.