In this episode, I’m joined by Dr. Matthew Salois, Chief Economist and Head of the Economics Division at AVMA. We discuss the following:
- LinkedIn and how Dr. Salois has leveraged social media to not only educate the industry but understand where to direct more in-depth research based on feedback.
- The cost of veterinary medical care and the economic dynamics in play today, and the amount of care that’s left undone. 33% of pets don’t receive the proper care from a veterinary professional annually.
- Debt and financial stress and the impact this has had on the profession. He shares some insights into the breakdown of student loan debt in the industry.
- Why financial literacy won’t solve the issues plaguing the industry.
- Asking for help in areas outside of our expertise is not only smart, but it’s also necessary.
- The labor market and attracting talent, what are the industry trends in hiring and retaining talent.
- The utilization of vet techs and looking at the dentistry model for inspiration on delegation of workloads within a practice. 60% of veterinary practices are not thriving and operating inefficiently; he discusses the AVMA efficiency index.
- Leadership and how he leads a team of high-performing people.
Books mentioned by Patrick Lencioni
- The Five Dysfunctions of A Team
- Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable...About Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business
- What would be the one data set of veterinary medicine data would he love to get, and what would he do with it?
- He shares his definition of success both personally and professionally.
- Finally, he shares a great call to action for anyone working in veterinary medicine.
Dr. Salois’ LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/in/msalois/
Learn about Medici