We are continuing a series of episodes comparing Jesus to superheroes. This series will tackle wrong ideas about Jesus from church history in chronological order. A superhero will represent each of these ideas.
Is Jesus Like the Green Lantern?
Who is the Green Lantern?
- There are 7200 Green Lanterns in the intergalactic corps.
- They each have a ring that gives them their power.
- Hal Jordan was the first human being from earth to become a Green Lantern.
- The 2011 DC film wasn't successful.
What is Adoptionism (or Dynamic Monarchianism)?
- Monarchianism is unitarianism--only one God Who is only one Person
- Dynamic monarchianism allows for this divinity to change (adopt a Son).
- Modalistic monarchianism is God manifesting in three modes.
- Adoptionism teaches that Jesus became divine either at his baptism
Who were the early adoptionist teachers?
- Theodotus the tanner of Byzantium (late 100's) taught that Jesus became the Christ at his baptism and became divine at his resurrection.
- Paul of Samosata (bishop from 260-268) taught that Jesus had God indwell him from his baptism.
Questions for adoptionism:
- Did man become the Son of God, or did the Son of God become man? (John 1:1,14; 8:58)
- Was the Son sent to earth or adopted from the earth? (Heb 2:14; 1Jn 4:9)
- Doesn't this deny monotheism and worship of one God? (Isa 43:10; 45:21-23; Phi 2:6-11)
What is the main problem with adoptionism?
It denies substitutionary atonement by denying the problem of original sin. (Rom 5:12; Heb 2:14; 4:15)
DC Universe Infinite, "Team Green Lantern Corps"
1 John 4:9
Like what you hear? Donate to Truthspresso and give a shot of support!