May 17, 2023
(S4E4) From Academia to Industry and across 3 Countries - Dr Niclas West in Conversation with Ruth Winden
In our weekly Research Culture Uncovered conversations we are asking what is Research Culture and why does it matter? This episode is part of Season 4, which focuses on Researcher Careers.
Ruth Winden, the Careers with Research Consultant at the University of Leeds, is your host for this season.
Today, we are meeting Dr Niclas West, a researcher and Leeds alumni who is so curious about living in different cultures, he has moved across continents to explore new challenges, new roles, new sectors and even learn new languages.
Originally from the US, Niclas came to Leeds to do his postdoc in Space Physics, destined for a career in Aerospace. But it didn't come to it - for many reasons.
From having to change direction because of his nationality, exploring a new career path that let him fulfill his love of complex technical instruments, to finding an employer willing to support his VISA application, Niclas has managed to overcome many challenges with grace, grit and plenty of optimism.
You can connect with Niclas via LinkedIn and Twitter.
Niclas and I talk about
* making the most of LinkedIn to attract recruiters and hiring managers; and how you need to adapt your profile and communications on LinkedIn to land opportunities in industry
* how his background as a postdoctoral researcher has helped him transition into industry and change course when his original plan didn't work out
* the power of speaking to people in your community about careers and opportunities (socalled "informational networking") and how it can help you make sound career decisions
* Career Architect, and the impact this postdoctoral career transition programme has made to him
* how sometimes, you have to follow your heart and move on again, even if it means leaving behind a super job, great colleagues and a fantastic employer.
Be sure to check out the other episodes in this season to find out more about Research Culture, Open Research, Postgraduate Researchers, and Research Impact.
* Career Architect, our flagship programme for postdoctoral career transitions
* UK government website listing employers who support VISAs
Follow us on twitter: @ResDevLeeds, @OpenResLeeds, @ResCultureLeeds
If you would like to contribute to a podcast episode get in touch: email@example.com