Stretching is good for you, right?
Many of us feel we "should" stretch more, whether it's to prevent injury, as a warmup, to recover quicker, to feel less stiff, or just because it's somehow virtuous to stretch.
Let's see what science has to say.
- Gene Kelly and Jerry mouse here
- 6RM squat elicits the same activation in the core muscles as a full plank to failure with 20% bodyweight on the lower back here
- Strength training is as effective as stretching for increasing flexibility here
- Static stretching temporarily reduces muscle force here
- Stretching has no effect on total risk of injury here
- Stretching has no effect on post exercise muscle soreness or recovery here
- Cold water immersion reduces perceived, but not actual, fatigue after exercise here
- A subjective feeling of stiffness in the back has no correlation with actual tissue stiffness here
- Strength training makes you live longer here
- Cardiorespiratory exercise makes you live longer here
- Flexibility training makes you live longer.... nowhere
Connect With Us On Instagram
Come Study With Us
Our training is 100% online - you can study from anywhere in the world
- Certificate IV in Pilates Matwork and Reformer here
- Diploma of Clinical Pilates here