Podcast editing is a growing industry that still has opportunities for a lot of people. But the question still remains: "How can I differentiate myself as an editor and be irreplaceable for my clients?"
Dava Visaya from PodcastEngineers.com joined us to talk about that question.
Dave is a podcast editor from the Philippines who has an interesting career trajectory. He owns a small podcast production agency with all in-house producers and editors (at least in-house when they're not under COVID-19 restrictions).
He had the goal of building a large agency with a deep portfolio of clients but has recently decided to shift his business.
Listen to discover:
- How many times the cats joined us :)
- How Dave didn't think of himself as a professional early on, even though he was working on a very popular show
- Challenges and strategies for pricing services, especially when working with international clients
- What often stops editors from hiring people to help them
- What you need to have in place before you start hiring
- The benefits of having your team in-house, operating on a single platform and suite of software and plugins
- Ideas for how you can differentiate yourself from your competitors to the point that you might be the only option your clients ever consider
- Why many strategies to "add value" often fail (hint: consider who actually DEFINES what's valuable)
- Working within boundaries - even across time zones
- Ideas for what you can have in place before you ever talk to prospective clients so that you can get them what they want - right out of the gate.
- And a LOT more.
This was an incredible conversation and you're going to LOVE it!
This episode was edited by Tanner Campbell, who you can find at PortlandPod.com
Interested in being a guest on the show?
If you're a podcast editor, we'd love to see if you'd be a fit for a future episode. Fill out this form to let us know you're interested and we'll contact you to see if it's a good fit.
Appearing in this episode:
Bryan Entzminger: https://toptieraudio.com | @toptieraudio
This podcast uses the following third-party services for analysis:
OP3 - https://op3.dev/privacy