When Imposter Syndrome cripples your productivity how do you overcome it? You can’t hide your way out of it. Sharing our current and personal stories of insecurity around growth, skills and work makes this an important mastermind session for every podcast editor. It’s a raw, uncomfortable and honest conversation demonstrating how trusted advisors are truly an invaluable resource.
Listen to Discover
- What Yetis will be in Nashville for Podcast Movement
- Our recent wins (and why you, too, should always find something to celebrate)
- Why Carrie is having a major bout of Imposter Syndrome
- The challenge of navigating working for a new company in a new role
- How control issues fight with collaboration
- How fear shows up every time you add a new package or service to your business
- How expectations provide security
- It’s always worse in your head!
- The discomfort of growth
- Should you be worried if you DON’T feel Imposter Syndrome?
- What happens in the absence of feedback
- Reframing the negative thoughts with positive ones-- do YOU do this? We want to know.
- What do you do when you make a mistake?
- Is your identity what you do?
- Pod Decks Question: What weird food combinations do you really enjoy?
- Carrie's update
Links & Resources
Podcast Movement 2021
Stony Brook Audio Podcast Fellowship
Podcast Editors Club
Reaper for Podcasting
This episode of the Podcast Editors Mastermind was edited by Sandra Paul. If you're looking for an editor and like what you hear, email Sandra at firstname.lastname@example.org
Be a Guest
If you're a podcast editor, we'd love to see if you'd be a fit for a future episode. Fill out this form to let us know you're interested, and we'll contact you to see if it's a good fit.
Your Yetis Are
Daniel Abendroth: https://rothmedia.audio | @rothmedia_audio
Carrie Caulfield-Arick: https://yayapodcasting.com | @carriearick
Bryan Entzminger: https://toptieraudio.com | @toptieraudio
On hiatus… Jennifer Longworth: https://bourbonbarrelpodcasting.com | @KYPodcasting
The project that sparked this episode is nearing completion, so here's the outcome of this conversation.
I found that after the recording, the imposter syndrome faded away... not immediately, but over the course of a week, I was back to my normal-ish self. Sharing was worth the discomfort!
Also, thank you to everyone who messaged me to share their own stories and give support. Ya'll are THE BEST!!!
About the Podcast Editors Mastermind
The Podcast Editors Mastermind is for professional podcast editors who want to grow their business and get more clients. We’re creating a community of like-minded professionals that are passionate about the art and science of editing podcasts.
Our goal is to help you build your business by providing tools, resources, and support so you can focus on what matters most—your craft. This isn’t just another group where everyone talks about how great they are at podcast editing; we show our work!
Follow or subscribe and take the Podcast Editors Mastermind with you today!
Mentioned in this episode:
Support Our Ukrainian PodCommunity Fighting for Ukraine
Yuriy Matsarsky is a Ukrainian journalist turned civilian fighter against the Russian invasion of the democratic country of Ukraine. In this podcast, he brings daily updates from the front lines of the Ukrainian resistance. Listen in your favorite app: pod.link/1613573570
Please consider donating to Yuriy's Go Fund Me campaign, which helps him support his now refugee family. It'll help Yuriy rest a little easier during this waking nightmare. Every $5 makes a true difference: https://gofund.me/6bef49ba
Fighting for Ukraine