Apr 26, 2022
EP10: Grab the Kids and Go, with African Immigrant "Leonie"
About this episode:
Host Kristen Cerelli talks to African immigrant "Leonie" who fled the same abusive marriage to save herself and her children, not once, but twice. In the process she lost her ability to practice medicine with patients, but she found an unwavering strength and ability to "just do it" that puts the cliched Nike slogan in its place.
About our guest:
"Leonie" was born in Africa, into a large family that valued education. She attended medical school, practiced gynecology and had two children with a very influential man who, despite his power, did not treat her with the respect she deserved. When the relationship became abusive, she fled with her children and has reinvented herself in both Europe and the US.
Other Resources Mentioned:
* Stats on Female Physicians in Africa
* The Social Distance between Africans and African Americans
* Not Without My Daughter book
* The Praed Foundation
* IPH Center
Become a Supporter:
If you like what you hear, please consider making a donation on our Patreon site!
* All content Copyright ActuallyQuiteNice, Inc & TCOM Studios, 2022
* Cover art by @jacksonfall
* Music by Ray Wyssman, The Simoleons, and Kristen Cerelli