When you hear the word "psychiatry", what comes to mind?
Psychiatry is a medical and mental health practice that lives somewhere between what we think of as medical care and mental health care. This episode aims to dispel the myth that psychiatrists can prescribe a pill to take all your problems away and clear the muddied waters around what psychiatric treatment looks like for patients, whether they're dealing with anxiety, depression, or managing chronic illness.
What You’ll Learn
- Psychiatry VS Therapy - which is right for you?
- Why can't I talk to my primary care doctor instead of a psychiatrist?
- How do appointments differ?
- Insurance and OON benefits
- What are the top three things you are seeing come in through your practice?
- How do you decide which medication to prescribe?
- Are there medications that are specific to mental health that are often abused?
- Can holistic practices be combined with psychiatric practices? What would you recommend?
- What is one common misconception about psychiatry/mental health?