Download a year’s worth of weekly action steps to improve your leadership for FREE!
Dr. Marilyn Gist is an expert on leader development. Her academic career spans the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the University of Washington, and Seattle University. She speaks and consults with organizations worldwide, including Boeing, AT&T, and NASA. Her new book is The Extraordinary Power of Leader Humility: Thriving Organizations—Great Results.
- Three questions people ask you as a leader: Who are you? Where are we going? Do you see me?
- Great leaders often have steel spines paired with a clear sense of other people’s dignity.
- Even humble leaders may have an idea of humility that suggests weakness rather than supporting others’ dignity.
QUESTIONS TO INSPIRE US TO ACTION
- What is some lesson, saying, or experience that continues to influence your leadership to this day? Learning from mistakes by watching other leaders.
- Use three descriptors to finish this sentence: “A leader is…” Visionary, emotionally mature, and inclusive.
- What is a question that leaders should be asking either themselves or others? Do I have a good handle on how I am seen by others?
- What book would you recommend to leaders? Leadership and Self Deception by Arbinger Institute
- If you could get every listener to start doing something THIS week to help them be a better leader, what would it be? Focus on relationship. Leading means relationship. Have a relationship with every stakeholder group.
- As a general life principle, is it better to ask “why?” or “why not?” “Why not?” This is about the vision piece—looking beyond “what is.”
CONNECT WITH MARILYN
CONNECT WITH JOSH
Want a FREE list of weekly action steps to improve your leadership? Download the Leadership Action List TODAY!