Apr 5, 2021
1.15 Judah and Tamar (Genesis 38 Bible Study)
Genesis 38 Outline
* Judah's First Sin - Marrying a Pagan Wife (v.1-5)
* Judah's Second Sin - Breaking a Promise (v.6-14)
* Judah's Third Sin - Soliciting a Prostitute (v.15-23)
* Tamar's Vindication (v.24-26)
* Tamar Bears Twins (v.27-30)
In this episode, we will study a parenthetical chapter: Genesis 38. This chapter is a flashback in Canaan to Joseph older brother Judah. Many ask, “why is this here?” It seems to interrupt the plot development of the Genesis narrative of Joseph.
There are at least 5 reasons why the account of Judah and his daughter-in-law Tamar.
* First, it is a part of Jacob’s story. Remember that the heading of Genesis 37:2 is “These are the generations of Jacob.” Even though I have consistently referred to Genesis 37-50 as the Joseph narrative, it is really the story of Jacob’s household. We will soon see that in this story of Jacob’s children, Judah becomes a central protagonist.
* Second, this chapter explains why it was necessary…