Today, most of our content online is derivative of someone else’s work. It’s a remix and rework of anything and everything. It’s all reflective. It’s all copyrighted. Not that the copyrights are being enforced, but it’s still mindboggling how out of date our copyright system is. Cory Doctorow is one of the earliest adopters of the Creative Commons License for his works. He and his science fiction novels play with this emerging era of creative cynicism. Today, Cory gives us a deep insight into this issue and how the ownership of works and ideas is bound to change in the future.
● Website: https://bold.ly
● Bold.ly YOU App: https://bold.ly/you
● Digital Magazine: https://proofzine.com
● Show Host Website: https://thegenerativefuturist.com/
● Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheBoldlyNOWShow
● Podcast: https://boldly-now.captivate.fm/listen
● Link Tree: http://linktr.ee/bold.lynow
● Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/boldlynow
● Twitter: https://twitter.com/boldlynow
● Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bold.lynow/
● [00:01:08] – Corey Doctorow Introduction
● [00:01:40] – How did Corey get into Creative Commons and problems with intellectual properties today.
● [00:15:47] – Celebrating the remix culture
● [00:21:00] – Is Remix Creativity?
● [00:26:13] – Extractive Capitalism
● [00:39:50] – Governance
● [00:50:15] – A discussion on Corey’s Novel Walkaway
● [01:01:50] – The way forward
● [01:08:10] – When are Cory’s new books coming out?
Corey Doctorow Blog
Creationists by E.L Doctorow
How to destroy Surveillance Capitalism by Cory Doctorow
The Age of Surveillance Capitalism by Shoshana Zuboff
The Nature of the Firm by Ronald Coase
If you found this podcast valuable, rate, share, and comment. We’d love to hear your feedback!