In today’s episode, we are talking with Jenny Lisk, who lost her husband 5 years ago, leaving her to raise their two children on her own. Jenny shares the heartbreaking story of the loss of her husband and how it led to starting her podcast. The gap she found while looking for resources for her children to work through their grief is what inspired her to take action.
On her podcast, Jenny interviews experts, widowed parents, and adults who lost a parent as a child. She describes her approach to the show and what kind of preparation and research she does before each episode.
Our conversation transitions into talking about the charity Jenny supports, the National Alliance for Grieving Children, what they do, and how you can help.
We wrap up with Jenny giving some advice about why building a community and nurturing it is such a critical piece when starting a podcast.
· Jenny tells her story of personal loss (1:30)
· The reason Jenny started her podcast (07:21)
· Resources that are available during the pandemic (10:33)
· The moment Jenny decided to start a podcast (12:23)
· Jenny’s approach to her podcast (17:30)
· The research Jenny did before launching her podcast (23:42)
· Jenny’s #1 tip for good interviews (28:44)
· The charity Jenny supports, what they do, and why they are a great organization to support (31:30)
· Jenny’s advice to anyone who is looking to start a podcast and how building a community is such a critical piece (35:02)
Resources from Jenny
Not sure where to start? Start here.
Join monthly discussion group.
Help spread the word! Request printed or electronic flyers.
What I’ve Learned About Widowed Parenting: jennylisk.com/top10 (Free Download)
How to be Helpful: Tips for Allies of Widowed Families: jennylisk.com/allies (Free Download)
Link to Podcast:
Support Jenny's Favorite Cause
National Alliance for Grieving Children - childrengrieve.org
DONATE Link: https://childrengrieve.org/donate
Thanks for Listening!
For help, resources, and community support, please join the Causepods Facebook Group if you are already producing podcasts for a cause or are thinking about launching one.
And if you would like to be a guest on Causepods, please fill out this form and schedule your chat here.