Brian Burke has acquired over half a billion dollars’ worth of real estate over a 30-year career, including over 3,000 multifamily units and more than 700 single-family homes, with the assistance of proprietary software that he wrote himself. Brian has subdivided land, built homes, and constructed self-storage, but really prefers to reposition existing multifamily properties.
Brian is the President / CEO of Praxis Capital and the author of The Hands-Off Investor: An Insider’s Guide to Investing in Passive Real Estate Syndications.
[00:01 – 08:35] Opening Segment
- I introduce and welcome our guest, Brian Burke.
- Brian talks about what he and Praxis Capital has been up to
- Quick plug to Brian’s book title “The Hands-Off Investor.”
- Grab a copy on www.biggerpockets.com/syndicationbook for bonus content offered by the publisher.
[08:36 – 24:13] Struggle of Building a Business
- Why real estate?
- Brian shares his journey to investing in real estate
- Brian shares a story from his first job working at a grocery store
- DBA – filing a fictitious business name until you find interested investors
- Quitting his job and transitioning to being a full-time real estate investor
[24:14 – 34:25] Acquiring $500-Million in Real Estate
- Brian talks about his “AHA!” moment.
- Brian shares the process of building up their portfolio.
- A 10-year long journey to profitability
[34:26 – 48:02] The Hands-Off Investor
- Why did you get involved in BiggerPockets?
- Writing his book titled “The Hands-Off Investor.”
- Brian’s advice to a passive investor looking to invest with an operator
[48:03 – 53:31] The Contrarian 3-Pack
- What would you say is the most contrarian investment you’ve made?
- What’s your favorite activity to do with your friends and family outside of work?
- Flying airplanes
- What actions, whether within work or family, offer you the most fulfillment in life?
- The life I’ve created at home and the things that I’ve been able to see my investors benefit from.
- Get in touch with Brian. See the links below.
“Once in a while, you’re gonna go through some challenging times and some difficulty. Ultimately, it’s a growth opportunity, and I wouldn’t be where I am today or who I am today if I didn’t go through those challenges.” – Brian Burke
“If I could educate [investors] a little bit on kinda what to look for and what’s important and what’s not important. That’ll help people avoid some of the mistakes that they otherwise would make.” – Brian Burke
Get in touch with Brian on BiggerPockets, Instagram, and their website https://praxcap.com/. Interested investors can head over to http://investwithpraxis.com/.
LEAVE A REVIEW + help the podcast grow by sharing it with your friends, family, or someone in need.
Follow me on LinkedIn or visit our website to know more.
Think Different. Earn Different. Live Fulfilled.