Jan 31, 2023
Four Activities to Hold Students Accountable for Reading
In this episode, the last episode in the 4 part miniseries, I’m discussing four activities you can use to help hold your students accountable for their choice reading books. The activities I’m sharing today include a one-pager, task cards, letters of advice, and reading response journals.
These activities ask students to think critically about what they are reading and provide an opportunity for students to demonstrate what they know and understand about their book.
*In this episode on holding students accountable for reading, I share the following: *
* A one-pager reading activity is a task that requires students to create a visual representation of what they have learned regarding their book.
* Task Cards provide readers with specific tasks related to the text they are reading such as “identify three examples of figurative language” or “explain how a particular character changed over time”
* Writing Letters of Advice where students imagine they are providing advice or expertise in relation to a particular topic or issue addressed by the story they just read
* A Reading Response Journal is an effective way of getting your students thinking more deeply about what they have read. Journals provide an outlet for readers' thoughts, feelings, questions, predictions, and, connections.
*Resources mentioned in the episode:*
* *Reader Response Task Cards*
* *Story Element Task Cards*
Other episodes in the series:
* 4 Ways to have Students Share out their Reading - episode 8 -
* Accountability Beyond Recording Pages With Reading Reflections - episode 10
* Setting Realistic Goals - Episode 11
Be sure to join the Secondary ELA Facebook group where we will continue the conversation on meaningful activities teachers can use to hold students accountable for their reading.
Tune in on your favorite podcast apps Apple, Google, Amazon, Spotify,
*Facebook Group: **https://www.facebook.com/groups/secondaryela** *
*Facebook page: **https://www.facebook.com/middleschoolcafe** *
*Instagram: **https://www.instagram.com/middleschoolcafe/** *
*TPT Shop: **https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Middle-School-Cafe** *