In this episode, Esther Lightcap Meek and I talk about love as the starting point for truly knowing reality, what it means to experience communion with the real—and why this matters for the on-the-ground work that you and I are doing as leaders of God’s people.
THIS EPISODE'S HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE
- Esther Lightcap Meek is Professor of Philosophy at Geneva College and author of A Little Manual for Knowing.
- In chapter one of A Little Manual for Knowing, Esther states that “reality is a gift, and love is at the core of all things. It is not impersonal; rather, it is person-like.”
- The pilgrimage of knowing begins with love, not with information.
- Active listening invites the real. Not mere passive collecting of information, but actively inviting reality to self-disclose.
- Because we’ve reduced knowledge in the modern West to little bits of information, we can’t see what is really there.
- We need to go into our communities in humility looking for what God is already at work doing there.
- Creation is in its essence the love of God. It is the expression of God’s love.
- When we truly begin to know reality, we enter into communion with that which is known.
RELEVANT RESOURCES AND LINKS
- Esther Lightcap Meek
- Books mentioned
- To leave a review of Spiritual Life and Leadership:
Links to Amazon are affiliate links. If you make a purchase through any of these links, I'll receive a small commission--which will help pay for the Spiritual Life and Leadership podcast! :-)
Support the show (http://patreon.com/markuswatson)