May 14, 2023
22 - Home Touring and Open House Tips
As a first time home buyer, you may not know some of the Do’s and Don’t of touring a home, whether that’s going to open houses or a private tour with an agent. We’ll go over 8 do’s and 8 don’ts about touring homes, and talk about some key points to help you make the most of your time and experience.
* Bring your real estate agent to an open house. If you don’t have an agent yet, we can help. Reach out via our contact page, or we’ve partnered with Home&Money, go to https://homeandmoney.com/FTHB/ and we’ll help connect you with a local, vetted agent.
* Research the area and neighborhood prior to the open house visit.
* Take detailed notes about each house to help you remember your thoughts and feelings about each home.
* Highlight any features that you like or dislike, repairs needed, etc.
* Ask questions of the real estate agent to get a better understanding of what is included in the sale of the house and any additional costs associated with it.
* Make sure you check the layout of the house, such as flow between rooms and door locations, in addition to looking at finishes and features.
* Take pictures or videos of the house to remember your thoughts and feelings about each home.
* Do keep all children supervised at all times.
* Don’t use the bathroom.
* Don’t talk about the home, good or bad, while near the home.
* Don’t be afraid to ask questions or make comments about anything that you don’t understand – the real estate agents are there to help you!
* Don’t rush through the house – take your time and get a good feel for each room as this will help with decision making later on.
* Don’t enter a home if there isn’t an open house or you aren’t with an agent.
* You might be tempted to do your own inspection of the home.
* A peak into a closet is fine, but don’t look in places like medicine cabinets or jewelry boxes.
* Don’t enter closed rooms without asking.
Show Notes and Article: https://fthbpros.com/podcast/home-touring-and-open-house-tips/
Support the show
Find all our episodes, articles, newsletter, and resources on our main site: https://FTHBPros.com*
Looking for a local real estate agent? *We’ve partnered with Home & Money, simply go to https://homeandmoney.com/FTHB/ and we’ll help connect you with a local, vetted agent.*
Philip Mastroianni – Loan Officer & Real Estate Agent
Pacific Patriot Financial
Monica Mastroianni – Real Estate Agent
Legacy Homes Realty