Nov 21, 2022
S02E06 The Simplify Episode
* If you could take a week-long vacation anywhere in the world by yourself, where would you go?
* Essentialism isn't minimalism
* Being intentional about how we spend our time
* How do we decide what we take on and what we don't?
* Useful time - how to determine what is useful or not?
* Useful doesn't always mean fun
* What's the difference between being useful and essential?
* 3 minimal criteria for saying yes to things, and 3 ideal criteria to saying yes
* Essential intent aligned with purpose, big why, just cause
* If we are saying no the minimum, are we taking away time to do something ideal?
* Different activities can work in concert with one another toward your essential intent
* How often we say yes to be nice or to be liked? How respectful is that to ourselves or others?
* The essential intent is the priority
* We get pulled into the idea that everything is a priority
* We take on other people's urgencies that aren't ours
* Taking on people's problems isn't helping, it's enabling
* Taking on other's work is also about control
* Consultants come in to solve a company's problem
* Training, Coaching, Consulting are not the same
* Separate the decision from the relationship
* Say no to the problem, not the person
* Don't say "NO", say "Yes, and...", "Yes, however...", or "Yes, no"
* What gets in the way of people saying "no"? Fear, People Pleasing
* The 5 drivers of behavior -- be strong, be perfect, be quick, please others, and try hard
* No limit to the relationship, but a limit to the request you can ask of me
* Choices being actions versus things
* Is free will a thing? Are we fully determined?
* If there's no free will, there's no responsibility
* We don't make choices, we just act
* Creating an ensemble of activities that align in one direction
* We don't have to make things as complicated as we do
* DESA - Design, Eliminate, Simplify, Automate
* Doing less and still providing the same value
* "Reverse Pilot" - take away something you are doing and see what happens
* Essentialism by Greg McKeown
* Simon Sinek and a Just Cause
* Eisenhower Matrix
* The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey, by Ken Blanchard, discussed on Season 1, Episode 5
* The 5 Drivers of Behavior (Transactional Analysis)
More yummy content on leaderlearner.fm