S01E10 The Hero On The Balcony Episode
- What do you think people regret the most when they look back on their life?
- Different stages of life: the call, the messy middle, the resolution
- Life being one long journey, with lots of small hero's journeys throughout
- Stage 1: Ordinary World; Stage 2: The Call to Adventure; Stage 3: Refusal of the Call; Stage 4: Meeting with a Mentor; Stage 5: Crossing the 1st Threshold; Stage 6: The Adventure (enemies, shadows, etc); Stage 7: The Elixir
- Saying no in my mind, and not feeling like I had a choice.
- When our ego says that we don't have a choice
- When our mentors muddle the waters by giving us another perspective, which doesn't align with our values or intuition
- Who is the 'right' person to ask?
- Going to the outside for advice because we don't trust ourselves
- Having a challenge network (band of pirates) to rattle us and keep us integrity
- Use criticism as a way to reinforce our values
- Can you refuse a call and be the same afterwards?
- Choices aren't always crossroads, but exits on a highway.
- Archetypes: The Hero, the Mentor, The Threshold Guardian, The Herald, The Shape-Shifter, The Shadow, The Ally, The Trickster -- all at the service of the hero.
- The journey is the hero's search for identity and wholeness
- We can't always see the arc of our own hero's stories
- Our blinders can prevent us from seeing the truth of our life
- Importance of getting perspective to see the stories we are in
- Look at your life as a story
- Sometimes we don't see when we need to go to the balcony to get perspective
- Is the shero/heroine journey different from the hero journey?