Jul 13, 2022
GME Financing & Physician Workforce Trends ft. Kyle Leggott, MD, Part I
This episode is Part 1 of 2 of a terrific conversation I had with Dr. Kyle Leggott, Assistant Professor of Family Medicine, University of Colorado Department of Family Medicine, and Scholar, Eugene S. Farley, Jr. Health Policy Center, about the complex issues surrounding GME financing and the current state of the physician workforce.
In Part I, you’ll hear Dr. Leggott’s insights into:
* The current state of the physician workforce.
* His work with the GME Initiative and legislators in D.C. to find systematic solutions.
* The mismatch between specialties and healthcare needs.
* How the number of GME slots is allocated per region and what this means for ongoing physician workforce distribution.
* Insufficient diversity across all areas of GME and healthcare.How to address gaps in medical knowledge as healthcare evolves.
Kyle Leggott, MD, is a family physician with health policy experience. His expertise includes policy development and translation, the intersection of policy with state-based health care legislation, and innovative approaches to addressing healthcare reform. Dr. Leggott is an Assistant Professor of Family Medicine in the University of Colorado Department of Family Medicine, where he recently completed a fellowship in health policy and politics. Dr. Leggott serves as a Scholar at the Eugene S. Farley, Jr. Health Policy Center, where he seeks progressive and innovative approaches to address health inequities by promoting systems based and policy level interventions. Dr. Leggott has been a member of the GME Initiative (GMEI) since 2017, working on physician workforce and GME reform. He currently chairs the GMEI Legislative Committee. Dr. Leggott also serves as a member for the Colorado Academy of Family Physicians (CAFP) and is a physician blogger for the AAFP’s Fresh Perspective blog. He provides both outpatient and inpatient care and teaches family medicine residents and medical students at the University of Colorado.
Please like, share and subscribe.
Sign up here so that you don't miss any future episodes!