Jun 21, 2021
Ep 2: Putting Men in Danger for Salty Duck
Pickled Scottish birds, Street Art and it’s ephemeral nature, bird song, holly for protection and boundary magic, cheese in Spain, fertility rocks, chalk path in England.
We begin by comparing notes on two books by naturalist and wanderer Robert MacFarlane, and we end by making a pact to eat pickled birds in Scotland. Along the way, we get into the reasons why we’re drawn to street art, ways to use holly in your magic practice, how bad we are at identifying bird songs, and what Kathy’s grandmother has to do with both Spanish cheese and fertility stones. We talk about friends we love, and we swear a bunch. It’s all pretty enjoyable.
Mentioned in the episode:
* Landmarks and The Old Ways, both by Robert MacFarlane
* Landscape artist Andy Goldsworthy
* Carolee, a California artist
* Donovan Beeson, a Chicago artist
* Street artists Jason Kofke, Shepard Fairey, Banksy, Jim Bachor, David Zinn, and our friend Shana Hampton
* Alexis Nikole, BlackForager on Instagram
* The Salt Path by Raynor Winn
* Dark Skies: A Journey Into the Wild Night by Tiffany Francis
* A Druid's Herbal for the Sacred Earth Year by Ellen Evert Hopman
* Celtic Tree Rituals by Sharlyn Hidalgo
* Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe by Christina Tosi