On this episode of “The Language of Love,” Dr. Laura Berman sits down for an intimate talk with Justin Baldoni, best known for his role as Rafael Solano on “Jane the Virgin.” Baldoni is also a director (“Five Feet Apart” and “Clouds”) and a podcaster (listen to “The Man Enough” podcast here).
Solano is also the author of “Man Enough: Undefining My Masculinity,” an engaging and daring exploration into what it means to be a ‘man’ in today’s society, and how we are failing boys and men in many ways.
On this episode, you will learn:
• Why the term ‘toxic masculinity’ can be harmful
• How the definition of manhood has shifted in the last few decades, leaving many men struggling to find role models or clear examples of the kind of man they want to be
• How dangerous gender roles can be when it comes to young boys who are encouraged to never cry or ask for help
• How we can create gender equality without demonizing men or masculinity
• How you can find your own definition for masculinity
• Why women seem to be attracted to a certain type of masculinity, and how we can reconfigure our desires so that we don’t always go for the ‘bad boys’
Check out Justin Baldoni’s Man Enough book here, and keep an eye out for his new guide for middle-schoolers which will be published soon!