SHOW: Season 3, Show 1
OVERVIEW: From the creators of the Internet's #1 Cloud Computing podcast, The Cloudcast, Aaron Delp (@aarondelp) and Brian Gracely (@bgracely) introduce this new podcast, Cloudcast Basics.
TRADITIONAL IT ECONOMICS
Introduction & Explanation:
- Dominated by proprietary hardware and software.
- 3yr, 5yr, 7yr hardware refresh cycles - required to depreciate assets
- 1yr, 3yr, 5yr software contracts - often include in “Enterprise License Agreements” (ELAs)
- Successful POCs were often contractually bound to buy the solution.
- Not all software was easy to upgrade between tiers of features. No “free-tier”.
- Large vendors would have financing arms to create loans, or “on-demand” pricing (typically based on “true-up” reports at various times of year).
- Businesses still needed to pay for all the facilities to house the data center (building, power, electricity, insurance, etc.)
- Open source software began to change some of those dynamics, but not all companies had the staff to operate open source software.
SUBSCRIBE: Please subscribe anywhere you get podcasts (Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Amazon Music, Pandora, etc.).
CLOUD NEWS OF THE WEEK - http://bit.ly/cloudcast-cnotw
LEARNING CLOUD COMPUTING:
Here are some great places to begin your cloud journey, if you're interested in getting hands-on experience with the technology, or you'd like to build your skills towards a certification.