SHOW: Season 1, Show 6
OVERVIEW: From the creators of the Internet's #1 Cloud Computing podcast, The Cloudcast, Aaron Delp (@aarondelp) and Brian Gracely (@bgracely) introduce this new podcast, Cloudcast Basics.
- What does PaaS mean in the cloud? Developers write code and push it to production. Operations is managed by the platform. Simple way to get to all the services an application needs (database, queues, load-balancing, high availability, authentication, etc.)
- How are PaaS services allocated? Typically by application, or volume of consumption (memory usage, # of transactions, etc.)
- How were PaaS services allocated before cloud computing? Manually. Developers often had to know about infrastructure, security, availability, etc.
- What does the cloud computing provider do with a PaaS offering (responsibilities vs. customer responsibilities? Lots of variety, depending on the service
- Why are there so many variations of PaaS and Application Services? Evolution of understanding developer needs - how “opinionated” to be vs. giving developers more granular control.
- Does it matter where the PaaS is located? How do clouds organize PaaS (availability zones, regions, etc.)? Usually most of this is hidden, beyond the geographic region.
- How much do PaaS services cost in the cloud? What are the various ways you can buy PaaS?
SUBSCRIBE: Please subscribe anywhere you get podcasts (Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Amazon Music, Pandora, etc.).
CLOUD NEWS OF THE WEEK - http://bit.ly/cloudcast-cnotw
LEARNING CLOUD COMPUTING:
Here are some great places to begin your cloud journey, if you're interested in getting hands-on experience with the technology, or you'd like to build your skills towards a certification.