9 May 2023
Oprah v. Beef Part 1: The Rise of "Veggie Libel"
On April 16, 1996, Oprah Winfrey did a show about mad cow disease. Six weeks later, a couple of Texas cattlemen had a cow (sorry).
* Hear bonus episodes on Patreon
* Donate on PayPal
* Get Maintenance Phase T-shirts, stickers and more
* Buy Aubrey's book
* Listen to Mike's other podcast
* Original Lawsuit
* How Oprah Got Sued for Dissing a Burger
* Two Degrees of Speech Protection
* Texas Cattle Feeders v. Oprah Winfrey: The First Major Test of the “Veggie Libel Law”
* Having a Cow: Reactions To "Veggie Libel" Laws and the Oprah Trials
* Howard Lyman talk
* The Unconstitutionality Of Iowa's Proposed Agricultural Food Products Act And Similar Veggie Libel Laws
* How the Cows Turned Mad
* Food Safety Vs. Promotion Of Industry: Can The USDA Protect Americans From Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy?
* Apocalypse Cow
* GAO report
* A is for Apple, Alar, and ... Alarmist?
* Alar Five Years Later
* Auvil v. CBS 60 Minutes
* Alar and Apples: Newspaper Coverage of a Major Risk Issue.
Thanks to Doctor Dreamchip for our lovely theme song!*
Support the show