Nov 6, 2020
Justice Vs. Exclusion: Fighting for LGBTQ2S+ Representation and Inclusivity in the Classroom
In this episode of Justice Vs., we take a look into the classroom and speak with organizer Becky McFarlane to describe the fight for LGBTQ2S+ inclusion and why queer visibility is so critical for youth. Later, we speak with Kyle McGiverin, a teacher who uses his position as an educator to normalize queer experiences and produce a queer-inclusive school environment.
For resources mentioned in the podcast, please see below: *
* The 519 is a Toronto-based non-profit organization committed to the health, happiness and full participation of the LGBTQ2S communities. They have a multitude of in-person and online resources, such as counselling, COVID-19 Resources, Legal Clinics and activities. - https://www.the519.org/
Wyvern, a Novel by Kyle McGiverin
* Guest Kyle wrote the award winning novel Wyvern, available at Glad Day Bookshop and Amazon.ca. For more info, visit his website: themisterkyle.wordpress.com and the book's website: www.wyvernnovel.com.
* Youthline offers confidential and non-judgemental peer support through our telephone, text and chat services. Get in touch with a peer support volunteer from Sunday to Friday, 4:00PM to 9:30 PM. - https://www.youthline.ca/. Support them at: https://www.youthline.ca/get-support/ways-we-support/
For ways to get involved and join the fight for LGBTQ2S+ inclusion, please see below:
Find and Support A Local Organization!
* If you would like to find an organization local to you, here’s a catalogue of organizations across Canada supporting LGBTQ2S+ Communities. You will also see an option to donate to any one you’d like to support: https://www.canadahelps.org/en/explore/charities/category/social-services/sub-category/lesbian-gay-bi-trans-queer/
Create Safe Spaces for Your Students!:
* If you’re an educator or sports coach who would like to help foster a safe learning environment for students, OK2BME has compiled an excellent list of teaching resources available for free! - https://ok2bme.ca/resources/parents-educators/resources-for-schools-and-classrooms/
Subscribe and share! Learn more about CCLA here: https://ccla.org/
* Instagram - @cancivlib
* Twitter - @cancivlib
* Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/cancivlib/?ref=page_internal
* Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/CanCivLib
Original Music by Ren Bangert.
Audio Editing by Ren Bangert and Paul Berry.
A big thanks to the Justice Vs. Volunteer Team:
*Writing and Research Team: *Natalie Sequeira, Kate Tutu, Jeremy Zhang, Luke Ryan, Imran Dhanani, Rachael Dyal, Rachael. Bridge, Leo Ghiran, Stella Racca, Sae Furukawa, managed by Brigitte Pawliw-Fry and Eilish Waller
*Audio Team*: Paul Berry, Ren Bangert, managed by Farid Pesteh
*Marketing Team: *Arlet Vazquez, Irene Lee, Hope Arpa Chow, managed by Soaad Qahhār Hossain