One of the most important aspects of a successful homestead is looking ahead. We’re constantly challenged by what needs to be done today, but with one eye fixed on what’s coming in the next few months as well. With a little planning, it doesn’t need to be overwhelming.
In this episode of Pantry Chat, Josh and Carolyn get practical with an episode on preparing your pantry for the coming preserving season. If you need a break from weeding and milking, grab a cold lemonade, sit back, and listen in!
In this Episode:
- Chit Chat: The Pantry Chat episode schedule
- Their new terrace garden area
- Growing good food closer to the kitchen
- Early spring crops
- Getting the main crop in and fighting Flea Beetles
- A short composting update
- Filming the upcoming Dairy Class!
- Which mixer makes better butter?
- Getting your pantry ready for preserving season
- The art of cycling through food stores
- Cleaning the pantry when it’s less filled
- May: The month to “eat down” your pantry
- Reusing canning jars
- Taking note of what you ran out of
- Cleaning and organizing your food in the pantry
- What to do with the leftover lime water from egg storage
- Ingredients for cleaning the pantry
- Correct labeling of your pantry items
- Checking your preserving supplies