What makes some lawyers stand out above the rest?
In the highly competitive environment of law firms full of incredibly intelligent people, why is it that some become leaders while others don't?
This week on the Leading Lawyer Podcast, I speak with Mark Rigotti who was the CEO of Herbert Smith Freehills, about leadership, learning, and what a successful career looks like.
In this interview, we touch on:
- Marks passion for learning and how that impacted his career;
- How legal education prepares you for the real world of legal practice (or not);
- How Mark found leadership coaches and mentors;
- Leadership styles and the challenges that come with managing lawyers;
- Some of the key challenges for the legal industry moving forward;
- How we can tackle the big issues in the legal profession, including diversity and mental health;
- Whether the billable hour is really a big problem in legal practice;
- What Mark looks for in young and upcoming lawyers and the key traits of successful lawyers he has worked with.
You can find more about Mark here: