Sean O'Meara, founder of Essential Content, publicist and co-author of The Apology Impulse, tells Daisy how the business world ruined sorry and why we can't stop saying it.
We talk about why you should think twice before apologising, how to avoid making an awful apology, and what the best apologies include. With lots of horrifying examples and practical tips thrown in.
The main lessons?:
- Stop making promises that you can’t keep
- Have a plan for when things go wrong – not just a full blown crisis plan but one that includes minor messes and medium embarrassments
- When bad things happen your first step should be to decide whether you are, actually sorry at all
- If you are, in fact, sorry then take time to decide HOW sorry you are and what you are going to DO about it. The best apologies explain what will change as a result
- Try to do all of this without resorting to jargon or dehumanising legalese
Find out more about the podcast here: http://whyeverybodyhatesyou.co.uk/