Feb 13, 2023
Ep. 146 - Precedential Decisions from 2/7/2023 - 2/13/2023 (torture; withholding - corroboration & credibility; nexus - family, gangs, extortion & revenge; deficient exclusion proceedings; divorce in Virginia & Ghana; good moral character; Patel)
Hernandez-Martinez v. Garland, No. 21-1448 (1st Cir. Feb. 2, 2023)
* CAT; torture definition; single act; single incident; business owners in Guatemala who have high profit; severity of harm
Aguilar-Escoto v. Garland, No. 18-1590 (1st Cir. Feb. 7, 2023)
* withholding of removal notwithstanding adverse credibility finding; corroboration; failure to consider evidence; domestic violence; Honduras; de novo review of past persecution; Patel
Barnica-Lopez v. Garland, No. 21-1313 (1st Cir. Feb. 8, 2023)
* nexus; one central reason; family membership; revenge; W-Y-C- & H-O-B-; Honduras
Matter of J-L-L-, 28 I&N Dec. 684 (BIA 2023)
* deficient case initiating document; Form I-122; exclusion; Niz-Chavez and Pereira; non-LPR cancellation of removal
Adjei v. Mayorkas, No. 21-1615 (4th Cir. Feb. 7, 2023)
* Virginia divorce law; domicile in foreign country; Ghana marriage and divorce law; comity; Full Faith and Credit
Mohndamenang v. Garland, No. 21-60380 (5th Cir. Feb. 6, 2023)
* corroboration; Matter of L-A-C-; affidavits; Cameroon
Hernandez v. Garland, No. 22-3120 (6th Cir. Feb. 6, 2023)
* good moral character; Patel; Guerro Lasprilla; weighing evidence; mixed question of law and fact; non-LPR cancellation; DUI; Castillo-Perez
Islas-Saldana v. Garland, No. 22-1366 (8th Cir. Feb. 7, 2023)
* motion to reconsider; administrative closure; abuse of discretion
Aguilar Montecinos v. Garland, No. 21-2333 (8th Cir. Feb. 10, 2023)
* nexus; fear of gangs; power of MS-13; extortion as persecution; Honduras; Chenery ; harmless error
**Sponsors and friends of the podcast!*
*Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.*
Immigration, serious injury, and business lawyers serving clients in Florida, California, and all over the world for over 40 years.
"Modern immigration software & case management"
*Want to become a patron?*
* Click here to check out our Patreon Page!
* About your host!
* Case notes!
* Recent criminal-immigration article (p.18)!
Immigration Review® is a podcast made available for educational purposes only. It does not provide legal advice. Rather, it offers general information and insights from publicly available immigration cases. By accessing and listening to the podcast, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the host. The podcast should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney in your state.
"Loopster," "Bass Vibes," "Chill Wave," and "Funk Game Loop" Kevin MacLeod - Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 4.0
Support the show