Today’s guest on the MOJO Maker for Womxn in Tech Podcast is Lynn Dohm, the Executive Director of Women in Cybersecurity (WiCyS). Join us as we discuss the upcoming WiCyS 2021 Conference in Colorado in September and what moving the needle looks like to improve representation and diversity in the cybersecurity industry. Lynn brings with her more than 20 years of organizational experience. She has successfully aligned businesses, nonprofits, and NSF-funded grants with their business goals and outcomes, and she is passionate about the need for diverse mindsets, skillsets, and perspectives to solve problems that never previously existed. Surrounded by committed women, male allies, and advocates, she strives to bridge the gap in the cybersecurity workforce shortage through WiCyS initiatives. In this episode, listeners will learn more about the initiatives WiCyS has created to help women step into leadership roles and create more opportunities, how they are cultivating a community of women to foster belonging and learn from shared experience, and how you can get involved. Tune in today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Hear about Lynn’s top objectives, namely improving gender equality and equity.
- Prepping women to step into leadership roles in cybersecurity using a holistic approach.
- The importance of cultivating a community within the cybersecurity community.
- How a group mentorship setting can reduce the barriers of self-doubt for women.
- Find out why Lynn says that comfort and growth don’t coexist; lean into discomfort!
- Learn more about the WiCyS Conference and how, for every registrant, they issue a female cybersecurity student scholarship.
- The all-important sense of belonging that comes from connecting with the community.
- Growing the tech sector through diversity and by adopting an abundance mindset.
- The importance of “doing it afraid,” leading with love, and advocating not only for yourself but for the women who stand next to you.
- Lynn speaks about the in-person WiCyS 2021 Conference in the wake of COVID.
- Hear Lynn’s top tips for young women starting out in cybersecurity; you are not alone!
- The power of bringing others up with you as you rise and keeping the momentum.
- How you can get involved with WiCyS as a mentor or a sponsor.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Lynn Dohm on LinkedIn
Lynn Dohm on Twitter
Women in Cybersecurity (WiCyS)
WiCyS 2021 Conference
Flameproof Your Career and Handle Adversity Like a Boss
MOJO Maker for Womxn in Tech on Facebook
MOJO Maker for Womxn in Tech on Instagram
MOJO Maker for Womxn in Tech on LinkedIn