In this episode, Martin Wachters joins me. We talk about how a hobby can turn into a full-time career. We also cover the importance of other skills and interests that can make this a reality.
Martin is the founder of Muziekles Amsterdam, a Netherlands-based music school. He also has several published online courses and resources to help beginners and more experienced students learn and improve the guitar and piano.
- If you are not in your ideal career, don't think that the experience or skills you learn are wasted
- You may not always land in your dream career, but often something closely related that you might not have initially considered
- It takes courage to quit the comfortable and move into the unknown
- Bringing together areas of interest such as (in Martin's case) music, teaching, entrepreneurship, and technology can create a niche
- Don't cater to everyone; pick a niche
- Start small by not committing to something big before you have tested the idea
- Be willing to think again, as you won't always be right
- Once you create your core offering or service, you can grow an ecosystem of businesses or services around this
Martin recommended the following books:
Connect with MartinSupport the show
Listeners can learn more about and connect with Martin by visiting:
Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/agile-career/message