In this episode, I cover the importance of focus and some of the tools that we can use to create and maintain focus. I first talk about focus in the broader context and how we can approach goal setting and track our progress. Next, I speak about focus at a more granular level and share some tips and tricks on how we can maintain focus and avoid distractions.
- Think about setting our goals in the same way that organisations set their strategy by using vision and mission statements
- Long-term planning is important but don't get blinded by your longer-term goals as circumstances change around you
- Write down your objectives!
- Be specific about your objectives
- Focus on the essentials
- Use objectives and key results (OKRs) to plan and track your goals
- Avoid procrastination by just making a start and eating the frog
- Break your tasks down into smaller chunks
- When tempted by distractions, think if this distraction will help you achieve your end-goal
- Multitasking comes at a 20-40% overhead
- Think about the 80/20 rule when deciding which tasks to tackle
- Be aware of attention fatigue
- Unsubscribe from email lists!
- Learn to say no
- Use the Eisenhower matrix to triage and prioritise tasks
- Reframe negative thoughts to help you get back on track
- Be present
I recommend reading the following books:
Connect with meSupport the show
You can connect with me by visiting my website or LinkedIn page.