In honor of Black Maternal Health Week, I welcome Dr. Jasmine Johnson (@mrsmommymd on Instagram). a Maternal Fetal Medicine Fellow with a focus on women’s health disparities.
Her research looks at the disparities that exist for Black women in pregnancy, labor and delivery.
Systemic Racism is a reality and healthcare plays a huge part of this.
Racism and bias can play a huge roll in the outcomes of Black mothers.
In this episode we discuss:
1. Why it's important that we discuss systemic racism as it relates to healthcare.
2. Research in racism and pregnancy outcomes.
3. Breastfeeding statistics for Black women compared to non-Black women.
4. How systemic racism put Black women, especially Black pregnant women, at a disadvantage.
5. Why systemic racism effects us all.
6. What we can do to cause change.