On this episode of the show I'm joined by Bonnie Gillespie who built her business by demystifying the casting process and illuminating the business side of pursuing a creative career. Her most popular book is Self-Management for Actors, the curriculum upon which her teaching is based. As a producer and Emmy-honored casting director, Bonnie specializes in indie darlings. Whether casting or coaching, she is passionate about leaving the entertainment industry better than she found it.
On the show we talk about:
- The origins of Self Management For Actors and how it evolved from Bonnie interviewing Casting Directors in 1999.
- The four pillars of SMFA and the special fifth pillar of Mindset that it's all wrapped up in.
- Knowing your "Why?" for wanting to be in the business and the importance of being in it for the long-haul and not a short term "win".
- How there is no excuse to not make your own content consistently and finding empowerment in that.
- Gretchen Rubin's Four Tendencies and the ones that line up most with SMFA.
- The important and tough work behind recovering the creative adult who was told they were "too much" as a kid.
- Why a lot of artists choose the artists path.
- Connecting with your future self in a way that helps you close the gap with your future ideal.
- Why it is essential for creatives to have a good understanding of money and how to make money work for them.
- Having an eye on your "pace car" - the person or people who are a little ahead of you and doing the kind of work you align with.
You can find out more about Bonnie here: https://bonniegillespie.com/
And follow her on Twitter: https://twitter.com/bonniegillespie and
Enjoy the show!