On this episode, Sujani sits down with Jeremy Schifeling, a former LinkedIn employee in the Higher Education Team. Jeremy has devoted his career to helping students succeed in theirs. From recruiting top students at Teach For America to leading student marketing for LinkedIn, he’s touched the lives of millions of people just starting their journeys. Along the way, he’s published a top-selling book on job applications, served as the University of Michigan’s tech career coach, and produced the most-viewed video in LinkedIn’s history.
We invited Jeremy to talk about what LinkedIn is, how to get started on the platform, and how public health professionals can leverage it to build their careers and search for jobs.
What You'll Learn from this Episode:
- Jeremy’s journey from a kindergarten teacher to techie; and his journey from working at LinkedIn in the higher education team and then going on to build LinkedIn Guys
- LinkedIn 101, including what it is and why you creating a LinkedIn profile allows you to take control of your own destiny
- The importance of building your network before you need it
- Why building a network on LinkedIn is not only for extroverts, everyone can leverage the tool
- A walk-through on how to get started with LinkedIn, starting with what you have, including how to use some of the features (an insider perspective):
- The Headline: how LinkedIn’s algorithm favours this
- About section: how to best use the 2,000 characters in this section
- How to build out your experience section if you are an aspiring public health professional just starting out in the field
- How to test LinkedIn’s algorithm real-time and leverage it to build your own profile
- Skills and endorsements
- Recommendations: how it works and how recruiters use it
- Interests: what recruiters see and how they use this feature to screen candidates
- Volunteer experience: why this section is important - spoiler alert: a survey conducted by LinkedIn revealed that 80% of recruiters value volunteer experience on par with work experience
- An understanding of the tool recruiters use (“LinkedIn Recruiter), how they see your profile, and how to use this information to design your LinkedIn profile
- Additional tips for building your LinkedIn profile
- Leveraging LinkedIn for your job search - 2 tips
- Once the profile is built out, how to reach out to LinkedIn connections, including whether you should use the messaging feature or contact them via email
- Additional resources Jeremy has available for you to build your LinkedIn profile and optimize it
- New features on LinkedIn for interview preparation
Jeremy Schifeling has devoted his career to helping students succeed in theirs. From recruiting top students at Teach For America to leading student marketing for LinkedIn, he’s touched the lives of millions of people just starting their journeys. Along the way, he’s published a top-selling book on job applications, served as the University of Michigan’s tech career coach, and produced the most-viewed video in LinkedIn’s history. He currently leads teacher outreach efforts at Khan Academy and shares his thoughts on Break into Tech, a site for anyone who wants to launch a tech career.
Featured on the Show:Support the show