Mar 29, 2023
How to start a public health podcast, with WHO's Global Health Matters Podcast host Garry Aslanyan
In this episode, Sujani sits down with Dr. Garry Aslanyan, the Manager of Partnerships and Governance with the World Health Organization and host of the Global Health Matters podcast. They discuss what the TDR is, how the Global Health Matters podcast came to be, and advice for anyone thinking of starting their own podcast.
* What the TDR is and how they are helping to connect and advance public health around the world
* How the “Global Health Matters” podcast came to be
* Highlights and topics of interest that have been covered on the podcast
* The advantages of using podcast as a medium for knowledge dissemination
* What skill sets and team members may be needed to run a podcast
* What costs and resources should be taken into consideration
* Advice on pitching a new podcast project
* Other advice for anyone thinking of starting their own podcast
As Manager of Partnerships and Governance, Dr Garry Aslanyan is responsible for TDR's wide range of engagements with global health stakeholders, including mobilizing programme resources and TDR's governing bodies. TDR has a unique relationship with co-sponsors: UNICEF, World Bank, UNDP and WHO. This includes applying research evidence in global health programming of the co-sponsors and collaborating with six regional WHO offices which is overseen by Dr Aslanyan, including the highly successful impact grants tackling public health challenges in those regions. In addition, Dr Aslanyan is the Head of the ESSENCE on Health Research Secretariat that provides support to its Steering Committee and funding agencies which are members of ESSENCE to move forward on various activities.
Garry is also the host of the highly popular Global Health Matters podcast and leads its production team.
Dr Aslanyan is Canadian, with a background in dentistry, public health, research/innovation management, health policy/systems as well as global health diplomacy. Prior to joining TDR, Dr Aslanyan has taken on various roles that allowed him to lead various organizational and technical innovations and is a recognized leader in global public health. As well as holding senior executive positions within Canada’s federal government and as the past President of the Ontario Public Health Association, Dr Garry Aslanyan has experiences living and working across the world including in Brazil, South Africa, Armenia, Barbados and Vietnam.
* Listen to the Global Health Matters podcast and learn more about the TDR
* Contact Garry via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Follow Garry on LinkedIn and Twitter
* Learn more about Garry’s research Support the show
Join *The Public Health Career Club*: the #1 hangout spot and community dedicated to building and growing your dream public health career.