In this episode of the Lifestyle, Travel & Technology podcast, the hosts, Alexander, Garry & Nikki talk about their experiences with the Austrian ski culture and not to forget the après ski. For those who don’t know what après ski is, it is something you do after or during skiing. Tune in to find out more.
Garry, having lived in Austria since he was born, was exposed to this ski culture the most. The hosts discuss which mountains have the best slopes and how Austrians begin skiing at a very young age and is further enforced by schools that take their students out for “ski week”. Nikki went on a ski trip, most recently, and shares what he did, how he enjoyed it and roughly how much he had to spend to enjoy this trip.
Austrians are considered among one of the best skiing nations and regularly win international events around the world, whilst Austria is considered to have some of the best mountains for winter sport activities.
Podcast Episode Summary
- Nikki’s ski trip
- At what age have the hosts first tried skiing or snowboarding?
- Schools in Austria offer “ski weeks” every year
- Skiing vs Snowboard - lifestyle and beef - between the two
- Après ski – the food, the drinks, lust for life and party culture
- Highest rated slopes in Austria
- Michael Schumacher coma due to ski accident
- Different slopes offer different difficulty levels for skiers and snowboarders
- Budget for a ski trip by Nikki
- Quite a few possibilities to ski not far from Vienna
Nikki – “…you can go very very quick and fast on a snowboard…”
Garry – “…to be honest I don’t like skiing at night…”
Alex – “…I grew up in south east Asia…we didn’t have any skiing or snowboarding opportunities…”
Alex – “…you pay for the view and transportation…”