This is Talking Aerospace Today, the podcast for the Aerospace and Defense Industry and the trends that drive the digital enterprise – a place that brings the promise of tomorrow's technology to the ears of our listeners today. I'm your host, Scott Salzwedel. Welcome to episode three of our four-part series.
In this episode, we'll be talking about the rising cost and complexity when it comes to compliance. Now, compliance within the aerospace industry is extremely important, it’s quite literally a matter of life and death. Whether it’s a weapons platform, a commercial airliner, or touchscreens inside the Dragon Space Capsule, failure of this technology is simply not an option. There are new “system of systems” being introduced every day and keeping up with their compliance is no easy task.
As the industry continues to mix various domains of technology, regulating these system of systems will require a more advanced and collaborative process. Increasing complexity, and the rise in cost that comes with it, highlights the need for seamless and automated aviation certification.
Today we’re continuing our conversation with Dale Tutt, the Vice President of Aerospace & Defense Industry here at Siemens. Dale specializes in building highly effective cross-functional teams to achieve complex operations when building today's aircraft. In this episode, we’ll talk about the critical process of managing product verification, and how both the certification requirements and the needs of the customer are satisfied. Siemens verification management solutions will be at the center of our conversation.
Some Questions I Ask:
● Which of the projects Dale has worked on stands out the most? (3:37)
● Dale, could you elaborate on the challenges facing the industry today? (9:29)
● Why are the current approaches to certification causing so much anguish? (13:59)
● Can you explain the capabilities included in the Siemens verification management solution? (22:45)
What You’ll Learn in this Episode:
● How the costs of certification and product development have flipped (5:27)
● Why it’s important to find errors early in the process (6:21)
● Why the comprehensive digital thread has been a game-changer (10:42)
● Where we can expect additional oversight during the certification process (12:26)
● Three primary phases of aerospace and defense development covered by the digital twin (19:08)
● Why the digital thread is especially important in the final auditing process (29:00)
Connect with Dale Tutt:
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.