How do you control what happens to your assets when you die? That’s the big question we’re answering in this episode. As we contend with contemporary asset structures like superannuation, and family groups growing increasingly diverse, in 2020 it takes more than just a Will to get your affairs securely in order.
To answer these questions, we have BDO’s National Leader for Superannuation in Australia, Paul Rafton, and BDO Self-Managed Super Fund expert, Shirley Schaefer. With almost 60 years’ experience between them, they’ve seen various super-related scenarios play out thousands of times; and with a lifetime of knowledge, will help you to get your estate and superannuation in order.
Covered in this episode:
- Will vs estate planning - busting the myth that superannuation is included in your Will
- Why estate planning is so important in a superannuation environment
- Which SMSF (Self-Managed Super Fund) structures are most appropriate for ensuring control of outcome after death
- How to ensure your nominated beneficiaries receive your superannuation benefits
- Exploring the income tax consequences of superannuation death benefits
- Explaining the 2017 legislative changes to Transfer Balance Cap (TBC), and how it affects you
- The differences between retail, industry and SMSFs
- The most common traps and problems people face when paying a superannuation death benefit in accordance with the deceased’s wishes
- How to ensure that your superannuation death benefit instructions cannot be challenged or changed by a vexatious litigant.
Find out more at https://www.bdo.com.au/en-au/podcasts and send any comments or questions to email@example.com.
Produced by BDO in Australia and The Podcast Boss.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.