Chances are, we all have been plagued by one of the heaviest, silent battles one can fight: shame. The enemy wants us to believe this lie: We are isolated and stuck in carrying the weight of our sin and ultimately our own shame. But Jesus paved the way for us to live in freedom beyond the destructive weight and narrative that shame begs us to believe and live by.
In this episode of Therapy & Theology, Lysa TerKeurst dives deep into some of her own personal testimony and into conversation surrounding “Good Guilt Vs. Destructive Shame” with her personal, licensed professional counselor, Jim Cress, as well as Proverbs 31 Ministries Director of Theological Research Dr. Joel Muddamalle.
By listening to this episode, you will …
- Learn the distinct differences between shame, guilt, conviction and condemnation and be equipped with tools to combat the specific lies associated with each of them.
- Overcome feeling disconnected and isolated, and learn how to utilize healthy guilt that actually leads to healthy connection with God and others.
- Stop feeling alone in your shame struggle, and apply practical tools and scripts for life-giving conversations that birth compassion, empathy and vulnerability with others.
Friend, God already sees you. He is ready for you to turn to Him, even in the weight of the shame you may feel. We pray this episode blesses you!
A note from Proverbs 31 Ministries: This podcast contains content that might not be suitable for young children and may serve as a trigger due to circumstances in your past. Please see the links below if you need help finding a counselor.
- Want more wisdom as you navigate hard relationship dynamics? Find practical next steps, powerful scriptures and timely guidance on how to set realistic, healthy boundaries in Lysa TerKeurst's new book, Good Boundaries and Goodbyes. In the pages of this book, Lysa's personal counselor, Jim Cress, also provides therapeutic insight surrounding the topic of boundaries, helping you confidently apply what you read. Order the Proverbs 31-exclusive version here.
- Ready to take a personal next step in finding a Christian counselor? The American Association of Christian Counselors is a great place to find the right fit for you and your circumstances.
- Has the Therapy & Theology podcast helped you personally gain a fresh, biblical perspective for what you’re facing? Tell us about it by leaving a review on Apple Podcasts. When you review and rate the podcast, it helps us reach even more people with biblical Truth and therapeutic wisdom.
Click here to view the transcript for this episode.