Tech entrepreneur, operator and investor Duncan Muchangi joins us for this fintech-themed #APSVibeCheck instalment of the African Pre-seed Podcast.
Duncan has operated, invested in, and advised various leading tech platforms that have scaled globally. Quite notably, he was part of the team at Jumia that helped set the company up for its much-publicised New York Stock Exchange listing in 2019. He is currently Principal at Unicorn Growth Capital, a private investments platform investing at the intersection of TradFi & DeFi in high-growth Web3 companies.
Top 5 insights unpacked in the episode:
1. What lessons has Duncan learnt from failing early startup attempts?
2. Highlights of being part of the early team at one of Africa’s most publicised unicorn stories.
3. Tips for going from operator to early-stage investor.
4. Why is Duncan bullish on African fintech and his investment thesis for backing startups in the space?
5. Is backing Web3 startups a crazy gamble or a smart, calculated investment opportunity?
CONNECT VIA SOCIAL MEDIA:
Are you a Founder or operator looking to become a venture capitalist? Tell us why or why not on social via the #APSVibecheck #AfricanPreseed hashtag.
ARTICLE: Africa’s growth in the digital economy and VC investment landscape by Tage Kene-Okafor (TechCrunch)
OP-ED: The Future of Fintech Is Unfolding in Africa by Tapfuma Musewe and Kyle Hiebert (Centre for International Governance Innovation)
PODCAST SERIES: What is Web3? feat. Michael Kimani (African Tech Roundup)
REPORT: State of the Crypto Industry Report 2021 by Nansen
ARTICLE: The outlook for crypto and blockchain in Africa by Dr Desné Masie (African Business)
ARTICLE: The role of cryptocurrencies in sub-Saharan Africa by Bitange Ndemo (Brookings)
Click here to subscribe to the podcast wherever you listen.