Speak The Truth
EP. 16 Humankind & Counseling Part 3: New Heart, New War - Cultivating The New Man
Jul 15, 2019 · 24 min
- A biblical anthropology rooted in the gospel completely rewires human psychology from the way we think and to our affections.
- In counseling, we’re not trying to better the old man, but rather, we’re trying to cultivate the new man.
- Humanism’s anthropology is to try and better the old man, which cannot accomplish what it sets out to do.
- Gospel driven counseling is set to cultivate the new man as described by scripture.
- Loyalty war that rages within, the fight for worship. The flesh is set on worshiping creation and self, where the spirit is set on having us worship God.
- The Holy Spirit is at work in us to transform our desires, and to set them upon The LORD.
- The hierarchy of needs model is a passive heart approach, but a biblical model says the heart will elevate an appropriate desire to an inappropriate level rendering them even sinful.
Episode Resources: Ed Welch Paul Tripp St. Augustin Martin Luther James K. A. Smith You Are What You Love Johnathan Edwards - The Freedom of the will Abraham Maslow - Hierarchy of needs