EP. 14 Humankind & Counseling Part 1: Establishing A Humanistic Worldview of Anthropology
- Establishing both views; secular worldview on anthropology and a biblical worldview of anthropology.
- Humanism began to take an overt stance in psychology by Abraham Maslow, founder of humanistic psychology.
- Humanism has man at the center of everything.
- Egocentrism unfortunately has crept into the evangelical church with its ear tickling.
- Symptom alleviation, better circumstances, etc.
- Darwinian evolution had a huge impact on psychology.
- The world started from primordial soup, and over billions of years, we evolved from fish to philosophers - being factious.
- Freud - psychosexual development - all our human development has a foundation in our sexuality.
- Id - darker side, tempted us, superego - our conscience, ego - the mediator
- Our view of human nature drives our diagnostic framework.
- Carl Rogers believed - non directional approach, given a positive direction, the client would find their potential and flourish.
- Our view of human nature not only tells us what’s wrong but also provides a prescription to make things right.
- Alfred Kinsey - father of propagating the sexual revolution.