Dr. Randy Paterson guides us through the ins and outs of assertive communication, explaining why it's essential for healthy, happy relationships in work, love, and life.Show Notes
- What is assertiveness?
- Common misconceptions about assertiveness
- The 4 styles of communication
- The benefits of becoming more assertive
- The barriers to being assertive: the stress barrier; the social barrier; the belief barrier
- Why it’s so hard to ask for what you really want
- Demanding what we want vs informing people of what we want
- DESO scripts
- Why it’s hard to say no to what you don’t want
- How to handle confrontation well
- Strategies for constructive confrontation, especially how to find common ground
- Are we responsible for other people’s feelings?
- Beyond assertive communication: taking responsibility for your own life
You can learn more about Randy and his work here:Get the latest Minds&Mics episodes as soon as they're released
If you enjoyed this episode of Minds&Mics and want to get notified whenever new episodes are released, you can join Nick's free weekly newsletter here →