Nick talks to professional mediator Dr. Adar Cohen about how we can have difficult conversations more effectively.
Here are some of the highlights from the conversations:
- The Farsi concept of Taroff
- The psychology behind conflict avoidance
- The 3 main outcomes of difficult conversations: 1) Solution, 2) Plan, 3) Understanding
- Achieving deep understanding in conversations
- The elements of effective listening
- Open-ended questions vs. litigious questions
- The importance of uncovering “gem statements"
- How to prepare in advance for difficult conversations
- How to handle defensiveness in difficult conversations
- The importance of silence in difficult conversations
- How to be a good mediator for other people
You can learn more about Adar and his work here:
Get the newest Minds & Mics episodes as soon as they're released
If you enjoyed this episode of Minds&Mics and want to get notified whenever new episodes are released, you can join Nick's free weekly newsletter here →