This week on Means of Creation, we talked to Nadia Eghbal!
Nadia’s work has focused on the reputation-based economies that drive creator and open-source developer communities. She currently is the Head of Writer Experience at Substack and previously helped build open-source developer experiences (independently and at GitHub).
Nadia also published a book earlier this year, Working in Public, which explores open source developer communities and their implications on the creator economy.
In this interview we discussed:
- Similarities and differences between open-source software maintainers & other types of online creators
- The implications of the parasocial relationship between online creators and fans
- Creator burnout in software & other content verticals, and what platforms can do to help
- What her job as Head of Writer Experience at Substack entails
- How creators and writers balance the tension between monetization and audience growth
Brought to you by the Means of Creation newsletter: meansofcreation.substack.com.