Machinery Pete shares his memories from, as well as the full interview he did 10 years ago this month (Feb. 2011) in Wyoming, IL with then 97-year-old Joe Colgan. Joe got into the farm equipment biz in 1933, went to work for John Deere in 1937 and became a John Deere dealer in 1947. Joe Colgan passed 4/28/15 at the age of 101, but his words of wisdom still hold true today.
- [:28] - Machinery Pete shares some notes on the used equipment market
- [3:20] - The passing of time, intro of today’s interview
- [8:53] - Interview with Tim and Joe Colgan begins
- [13:43] - The early years of Joe’s career and getting into the dealership business
- [15:02] - Joe’s book of tractor sales
- [18:30] - Tim’s career story and changes he and Joe saw in selling farm equipment over the years
- [25:17] - Stories of Joe’s customers
- [30:34] - Joe talks retirement and if he could be a dealer in the modern day
- [41:45] - Obsolete corn pickers, yearly auctions and trading horses
- [47:00] - On the road to Deere dealers
- [52:30] - How Joe and Majella Colgan raised a successful family
- [56:20] - Brothers Tim and Andy recall their upbringing and Joe’s wife Majella joins the conversation
- [59:58] - Final words from Machinery Pete
Machinery Pete was founded in 1989 and has grown from its humble beginnings to a full-fledged marketplace for farming equipment. Greg Peterson, founder and host, has also released Machinery Pete content across platforms including YouTube with his long-running Machinery Pete TV show.
If you'd like to receive new episodes as they're published, please subscribe to the Machinery Pete Podcast in Apple Podcasts
, Google Podcasts
or wherever you get your podcasts
. If you enjoyed this episode, please consider leaving a review in Apple Podcasts
. It really helps others find the show.