An interview with Petra Wille. Petra is a Product Leadership Coach and author of the new book "Strong Product People - A Complete Guide to Developing Great Product Managers".
We speak about a lot, including:
- How a desire to affect change at scale moved her away from individual coaching to coaching Product Leaders
- How she happened upon Product Management by being the best communicator on the development team
- How a desire for a practical Product Leadership playbook led her to write her own
- The importance of setting expectations and making incremental progress and not always aiming for perfect
- The challenges of selling good Product thinking to senior management and some approaches to do it
- The challenge of getting good management experience and becoming a good people manager without focused coaching
- Some of the challenges facing women Product Leaders and if it's getting better or worse
- Whether it's necessary to have a background in development to be an effective PM, or if it's even desirable
- When to stick at a Product job and try to make it better, and when it's time to leave
- The importance of making time for people development amongst all of the urgent day-to-day work
And much more!