An interview with April Dunford. April is a Positioning Consultant and author of 2019's "Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It".
We speak about a lot, including:
- The origin of "Obviously Awesome", why she self published and how publishers don't like "doing" books
- How taking over a failing product and repositioning made it a success, and showed her the power of good positioning for the exact same product
- How conferences and publishers reacted in horror at the concept of positioning content, and how it's swung back into fashion these days
- The shocking story of what happened when she asked a real author for advice and what they said about her book
- The problem with "fill in the blanks" positioning statements and why they won't help, and might harm
- The importance of positioning against your actual competition and not just your direct competitors
- Why Product Market Fit doesn't exist, isn't operationally useful, and is a VC pipe dream
- The importance of creating a market point of view story to help land your positioning and drive alignment across the organisation
- How you can use the POV story to help people buy your offering over that of your competitors
And much more!